With my brother graduating from high school on Thursday, he’ll soon be leaving home to attend college at the ending of the summer and I started thinking about college roommates and my experience. Honestly, my experience with my roommate at college was terrible. I went off to the University of Hartford and I was so happy, optimistic and excited about my life at college. Unfortunately, all that changed when I realized how annoying and inconsiderate this girl was. After her “true self” was revealed I just couldn’t be her friend and honestly, I regret not requesting a new roommate the moment I realized that she was the roommate from hell. She was nice girl but she just had a lot of bad habits, she very loud at crazy hours of the night and early morning and was very inconsiderate. I decided to leave the University Of Hartford due to financial reason but mostly because of my roommate. I can honestly tell you guys that it was depressing being her roommate. I was always unhappy and angry and thankfully I had other friends on campus that were generous enough to let me stay at their dorms whenever I wanted but in the end I just had to leave. It became so unbearable for me.
My advice to you soon to be college students is to:
- Get to know your college roommate
- Become friends with them before you leave for school
- Get comfortable with them by using FaceTime, Texting, Phone Calls, Skype, etc.
- Send each other a list of things you like to do, and also a list of things you find annoying and unbearable even if it has nothing to do with sharing a room with someone.
- Be open and honest
- Set boundaries and rules
- This may seem stupid but let your roommate know what time you get up in the morning and what time you go to bed at night to avoid interruptions.
- Make sure you have headphones so if your roommate is trying to sleep, study or isn’t feeling well, you will not be disturbing them.
- Be respectful of each other’s property
- Be courteous and also most importantly respect each other.
I really hope these tips are helpful to you soon to be college students. I know there are many more tips out there to share and I’ll provide you guys with some helpful websites and resources you can use. College is fun and you should definitely enjoy the most of it. I really wish I had that opportunity to experience the college life but sometimes life and people get in the way. My final tip for you is after getting to know, if you feel like you guys aren’t a good match go to your school’s housing office and request a new roommate or just get a single if you feel like you can’t deal with having a roommate. College is supposed to be memorable and you don’t want your memories to be tainted by bad stuff. Enjoy the next four years of college <3